CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 15, 2011

Dinner For 3 Month Supply

I wanted to start showing recipes to get us all started on getting together our food supply. I am not a huge fan of boxed dinner I want to know what goes into my food. Now with that being said I have not done any canning of fresh veggies in a couple of years so I am using canned food (from the store) for the recipes till I get the chance to have the garden producing enough for this use and canning.

The recipe I am using is from a wonderful book called "Dinner Is In The Jar Quick and Easy Dinner Mixes in Mason Jars or Mylar Bags" by Kathy Clark.
Now I love the look of a mason jar full of yummy things in my cupboard over a box with a bunch of additives in it.
This recipe is for White Chicken Enchiladas
These are the ingredients
Garlic powder, salt, pepper, flour, dried minced onions, sour cream powder, bouillon cube

Cooked chicken ( mine in cans), olive oil, diced green chilies, diced tomatoes and shredded cheese
In the jar:
3 c. flour
1 tsp. salt (mix with flour before putting in jar)
In a Baggie in the Jar:
1/4 c. + 2 T. flour
1/4 c. sour cream powder
1 T. 1 t. dried minced onions (cannery)
1 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. pepper
1 + chicken bouillon
Add in oxygen absorber ( cannery item)

Add: 1 pint cooked chicken (I have 2 can that equal more than a pint)
1/3 c. olive oil
4 oz. can of diced green chilies
1 can diced tomatoes
Shredded cheese (not pictured here)

This is the meal together. Not included in picture is the olive oil, water & cheese.
First, remove oxygen absorber.
Making Tortillas: Mix flour mixture with olive oil and 1 cup of water. Let dough rest a few minutes. Divide it into 8 balls. Lightly flour working surface & rolling pin. Roll out each ball to about an 8 inch circle. Place on hot griddle, cook and turn over to other side.

Making Enchilada Sauce: Mox seasoning packet well with 1 cup cold water in pot, using a whisk. Add another 2 cups water & green chilies. Cook until bubbly & thickened.

Assembly: Mix chicken with drained tomatoes in a bowl. Mix about 1/2 c. enchilada sauce with chicken. Put about a 1/2 c. of enchilada sauce in bottom of 9 X 13 casserole dish. Dip each tortilla in the enchilada sauce. Fill with chicken mixture and cheese. Roll and place seam side down on casserole dish. Top with any remaining sauce, chicken & cheese. Bake 350 for 30 min.

Side tip: I am adding a can of cream of chicken soup to mine on the shelf I know this is very yummy in the white chicken enchiladas.

This book is great due to the recipes 30 of them with labels that you can print and attach to the jar. Awesome!

In an emergency situation you would need to have another way of cooking this such as a solar oven, a grill would work with adjusting the time and the pan you would use.
Very flexible and good recipe. How easy is this to put together. I hope you will give it a try and let me know how you like it.
I did not figure out the cost of this meal but I will try to do so in the future.
Be prepared with a smile, Bobbi Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment